Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to untoward: torrid
1. Improper; unseemly: untoward behavior.
2. Unfavorable or adverse: an untoward incident.
1. characterized by misfortune, disaster, or annoyance
2. not auspicious; adverse; unfavourable
3. unseemly or improper
4. out of the ordinary; out of the way
5. archaic refractory; perverse
6. obsolete awkward, ungainly, or uncouth
1. unfavorable or unfortunate.
3. Archaic. froward; perverse.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||untoward - not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society; "was buried with indecent haste"; "indecorous behavior"; "language unbecoming to a lady"; "unseemly to use profanity"; "moved to curb their untoward ribaldry"|
improper - not suitable or right or appropriate; "slightly improper to dine alone with a married man"; "improper medication"; "improper attire for the golf course"
|2.||untoward - contrary to your interests or welfare; "adverse circumstances"; "made a place for themselves under the most untoward conditions"|
1. Tending to discourage, retard, or make more difficult:
2. Involving or undergoing chance misfortune:
3. Not submitting to discipline or control:
disorderly, fractious, indocile, intractable, lawless, obstinate, obstreperous, recalcitrant, refractory, uncontrollable, undisciplined, ungovernable, unmanageable, unruly, wild.
Idiom: out of line.