upcast(redirected from upcasts)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Directed or thrown upward: upcast volcanic ash.
1. Something cast upward.
2. A ventilating shaft, as in a mine.
1. material cast or thrown up
2. (Mining & Quarrying) a ventilation shaft through which air leaves a mine. Compare downcast3
3. (Geological Science) geology (in a fault) the section of strata that has been displaced upwards
directed or thrown upwards
vb, -casts, -casting or -cast
(tr) to throw or cast up
1. something cast or thrown up, as soil in digging.adj.
2. directed or thrown upward.
Past participle: upcast