Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Producing or turning to vapor.
2. Having the nature of vapor; vaporous.
1. (General Physics) producing, causing, or tending to produce vapour
2. (General Physics) of, concerned with, or having the nature of vapour
3. (General Physics) tending to become vapour; volatile
[C18: from New Latin vaporificus, from Latin vapor steam + facere to make]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||vaporific - (used of substances) capable of being volatilized|
volatile - evaporating readily at normal temperatures and pressures; "volatile oils"; "volatile solvents"
|2.||vaporific - resembling or characteristic of vapor; "vaporous clouds"|
gaseous - existing as or having characteristics of a gas; "steam is water is the gaseous state"