vaporing(redirected from vaporingly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. The gaseous state of a substance that is liquid or solid at room temperature.
2. A faintly visible suspension of fine particles of matter in the air, as mist, fumes, or smoke.
3. A mixture of fine droplets of a substance and air, as the fuel mixture of an internal-combustion engine.
a. Something insubstantial, worthless, or fleeting.
b. A fantastic or foolish idea.
5. vapors Archaic
a. Exhalations within a bodily organ, especially the stomach, supposed to affect the mental or physical condition. Used with the.
b. A nervous disorder such as depression or hysteria. Used with the.
v. va·pored, va·por·ing, va·pors
1. To fill or cover with vapor: Perfume vapored the room.
2. To vaporize: "You wished you'd seen one of the monster shots that vapored an atoll way back when" (Don DeLillo).
1. To give off vapor.
2. To evaporate: The fog vapored away.
3. To engage in idle, boastful talk: vapored on about his accomplishments.
[Middle English vapour, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin vapor.]