variorum(redirected from variorumly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. An edition of the works of an author with notes by various scholars or editors.
2. An edition containing various versions of a text.
Of or relating to a variorum edition or text.
[From Latin (ēditiō cum notīs) variōrum, (edition with the notes) of various persons, genitive pl. of varius, various.]
(Literary & Literary Critical Terms) containing notes by various scholars or critics or various versions of the text: a variorum edition.
(Literary & Literary Critical Terms) an edition or text of this kind
[C18: from Latin phrase ēditiō cum notīs variōrum edition with the notes of various commentators]
var•i•o•rum(ˌvɛər iˈɔr əm, -ˈoʊr-)
1. containing different versions of a certain text.
2. containing notes and commentaries by a number of scholars.n.
3. a variorum edition or text.
[1720–30; < Latin ēditiō cum notīs variōrum edition with the notes of various persons]
a work containing all available versions and variants of a text to enable scholars to compare them and study the development of the work. — variorum, adj.See also: Books