Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. ver·ti·ces (-tĭ-sēz′) also ver·tex·es
1. The highest point; the apex or summit: the vertex of a mountain.
a. The highest point of the skull.
b. The top of the head.
3. In astrology, the highest point reached in the apparent motion of a celestial body.
a. The point at which the sides of an angle intersect.
b. The point on a triangle or pyramid opposite to and farthest away from its base.
c. A point on a polyhedron common to three or more sides.
d. A point of maximal curvature on a parabola or hyperbola.
n, pl -texes or -tices (-tɪˌsiːz)
1. the highest point
2. (Mathematics) maths
a. the point opposite the base of a figure
b. the point of intersection of two sides of a plane figure or angle
c. the point of intersection of a pencil of lines or three or more planes of a solid figure
3. (Astronomy) astronomy a point in the sky towards which a star stream appears to move
4. (Anatomy) anatomy the crown of the head
[C16: from Latin: highest point, from vertere to turn]
n., pl. -tex•es, -ti•ces (-təˌsiz)
1. the highest point; apex.
2. the top of the head.
3. a point in the celestial sphere toward which or from which the common motion of a group of stars is directed.
a. the point farthest from the base.
b. a point in a geometrical solid common to three or more sides.
c. the intersection of two sides of a plane figure.
[1560–70; < Latin: whirl, top (of the head), derivative of vert(ere) to turn]
Plural vertices (vûr′tĭ-sēz′) or vertexes
1. The point at which the sides of an angle intersect.
2. The point of a triangle, cone, or pyramid that is opposite to and farthest away from its base; the apex.
3. A point of a polyhedron at which three or more of the edges intersect.
In artillery and naval gunfire support, the highest point in the trajectory of a projectile.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vertex - the point of intersection of lines or the point opposite the base of a figure|
|2.||vertex - the highest point (of something); "at the peak of the pyramid"|
crown - the part of a hat (the vertex) that covers the crown of the head
roof peak - the highest point of a roof
vertex[vɜːteks] N (vertexes or vertices (pl)) [vɜːtɪsiːz] (Math, Archit) → vértice m
n pl <vertices> → Scheitel(punkt) m
vertex[ˈvɜːtɛks] n (vertices (pl)) [ˈvɜːtɪsiːz] → vertice m
1. cúspide de una estructura, tal como el punto extremo de la cabeza;
2. punto en que concurren los lados de un ángulo.