Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Pulsing or throbbing with energy or activity: the vibrant streets of a big city.
b. Vigorous, lively, and vital: "a vibrant group that challenged the ... system" (Philip Taubman).
2. Exhibiting or characterized by rapid, rhythmic movement back and forth or to and fro; vibrating.
3. Produced as a result of vibration; resonant or resounding: vibrant voices.
4. Relatively high on the scale of brightness: a vibrant hue.
vi′bran·cy, vi′brance n.
1. characterized by or exhibiting vibration; pulsating or trembling
2. giving an impression of vigour and activity
3. caused by vibration; resonant
4. (of colour) strong and vivid
5. (Phonetics & Phonology) phonetics trilled or rolled
(Phonetics & Phonology) a vibrant speech sound, such as a trilled (r)
[C16: from Latin vibrāre to agitate]
1. moving to and fro rapidly; vibrating.
2. (of sounds) characterized by perceptible vibration; resonant.
3. pulsating with vigor and energy; lively.
4. vigorous; energetic; vital: a vibrant personality.
[1540–50; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||vibrant - vigorous and animated; "a vibrant group that challenged the system"; "a charming and vivacious hostess"; "a vivacious folk dance"|
spirited - displaying animation, vigor, or liveliness
|2.||vibrant - of sounds that are strong and resonating; "the men's vibrant voices"|
reverberant - having a tendency to reverberate or be repeatedly reflected; "a reverberant room"; "the reverberant booms of cannon"
|3.||vibrant - of colors that are bright and striking|
1. energetic, dynamic, sparkling, vivid, spirited, storming, alive, sensitive, colourful, vigorous, animated, responsive, electrifying, vivacious, full of pep (informal) Tom was drawn to her by her vibrant personality.
personality etc → dynamisch; voice → volltönend, sonor; city, community, culture → lebendig, voller Leben; discussion → lebhaft, angeregt; economy → boomend; performance → mitreißend; the shipyard was vibrant with activity → auf der Werft herrschte emsiges Treiben; the vibrant life of the city → das pulsierende Leben der Großstadt
(= brilliant) colour → leuchtend