Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to vinculum: vinculum juris
n. pl. vin·cu·lums or vin·cu·la (-lə)
1. Mathematics A bar drawn over two or more algebraic terms to indicate that they are to be treated as a single term.
2. Anatomy A bandlike structure, such as a ligament.
3. A bond or tie.
[Latin, bond, tie, from vincīre, to tie.]
n, pl -la (-lə)
1. (Mathematics) a horizontal line drawn above a group of mathematical terms, used as an alternative to parentheses in mathematical expressions, as in x + ̅y – z which is equivalent to x + (y – z)
2. (Anatomy) anatomy
a. any bandlike structure, esp one uniting two or more parts
b. another name for ligament
3. rare a unifying bond; tie
[C17: from Latin: bond, from vincīre to bind]
vin•cu•lum(ˈvɪŋ kyə ləm)
n., pl. -la (-lə).
1. a bond signifying union or unity; tie.
2. Math. a stroke or brace drawn over several members or terms, in order to show that they are to be considered together.
[1655–65; < Latin: fetter =vinc(īre) to bind + -ulum -ule]