Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to violet: mauve, gentian violet
a. Any of various low-growing herbs of the genus Viola, having short-spurred, irregular flowers that are characteristically purplish-blue but sometimes yellow or white.
b. Any of several similar plants, such as an African violet.
2. The hue of the short-wave end of the visible spectrum, evoked in the human observer by radiant energy with wavelengths of approximately 380 to 420 nanometers; any of a group of colors, reddish-blue in hue, that may vary in lightness and saturation.
[Middle English, from Old French violete, diminutive of viole, from Latin viola; see viola2.]
1. (Plants) any of various temperate perennial herbaceous plants of the violaceous genus Viola, such as V. odorata (sweet (or garden) violet), typically having mauve or bluish flowers with irregular showy petals
2. (Plants) any other plant of the genus Viola, such as the wild pansy
3. (Plants) any of various similar but unrelated plants, such as the African violet
a. any of a group of colours that vary in saturation but have the same purplish-blue hue. They lie at one end of the visible spectrum, next to blue; approximate wavelength range 445–390 nanometres
b. (as adjective): a violet dress.
5. (Dyeing) a dye or pigment of or producing these colours
6. (Clothing & Fashion) violet clothing: dressed in violet.
7. shrinking violet informal a shy person
[C14: from Old French violete a little violet, from viole, from Latin viola violet]
vi•o•let(ˈvaɪ ə lɪt)
1. any chiefly low, stemless or leafy-stemmed plant of the genus Viola, of the violet family, having purple, blue, yellow, white, or variegated flowers.
2. any of various other plants, as the dogtooth violet or the African violet.
3. the flower of any native, wild species of violet, as distinguished from the cultivated pansy: the state flower of Illinois, New Jersey, and Rhode Island.
4. a reddish blue color at the opposite end of the visible spectrum from red, an effect of light with a wavelength between 400 and 450 nm.adj.
5. of the color violet; reddish blue.
[1300–50; Middle English < Old French violete=viole (< Latin viola violet) + -ete -et]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||violet - any of numerous low-growing violas with small flowers|
viola - any of the numerous plants of the genus Viola
American dog violet, Viola conspersa - violet of eastern North America having pale violet to white flowers
sweet white violet, Viola blanda, white violet, woodland white violet - short-stemmed violet of eastern North America having fragrant purple-veined white flowers
Canada violet, tall white violet, Viola canadensis, white violet - tall North American perennial with heart-shaped leaves and white flowers with purple streaks
two-eyed violet, Viola ocellata, heartsease - violet of Pacific coast of North America having white petals tinged with yellow and deep violet
English violet, garden violet, sweet violet, Viola odorata - European violet typically having purple to white flowers; widely naturalized
bird's-foot violet, pansy violet, Viola pedata, wood violet, Johnny-jump-up - common violet of the eastern United States with large pale blue or purple flowers resembling pansies
downy yellow violet, Viola pubescens - violet of eastern North America having softly pubescent leaves and stems and clear yellow flowers with brown-purple veins
long-spurred violet, Viola rostrata - violet of eastern North America having lilac-purple flowers with a long slender spur
cream violet, pale violet, striped violet, Viola striata - leafy-stemmed violet of eastern North America having large white or creamy flowers faintly marked with purple
|2.||violet - a variable color that lies beyond blue in the spectrum|
indigo - a blue-violet color
|Adj.||1.||violet - of a color intermediate between red and blue|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
1. a kind of small bluish-purple flower. viooltjie زَهْرَة البَنَفْسَج теменужка violeta violka das Veilchen viol μενεξές, βιολέταvioleta kannike گل بنفشه orvokki violetteסגול एक प्रकार का फूल ljubičica ibolya bunga violet fjóla violetta すみれ 제비꽃속(屬)의 총칭 žibuoklė vijolīte bunga violet viooltjefiolfiołek چوڼيا، بنفشه (ګل)، بنفشه ( رنګ violeta violetă фиалка fialka vijolica ljubičica viol ต้นไวโอเล็ต menekşe 紫羅蘭 фіалка بنفشي رنگ cây hoa tím 紫罗兰
2. (also adjective) (of) a bluish-purple colour. violet بَنَفْسَجي виолетов violeta fialový das Violett violet βιολετί violeta violett, violetne بنفش violetti violetסגול बैगनी, नीललेहित, जाम्ब ljubičast ibolya(szín) warna ungu fjólublár violetta すみれ色(の) 제비꽃색 violetinė spalva; violetinis violeta krāsa; violets warna ungu violetfiolettfioletowy چڼيايى، بنفشه يي violeta violet фиолетовый fialový vijoličasta barva ljubičast violett สีม่วง menekşe rengi 藍紫色的 фіолетовий колір بنفشي رنگ کا màu tím 紫罗兰色的
n. color violeta;