virile(redirected from virilely)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male, especially in having the ability to have sexual intercourse.
2. Masculine in a robust way; manly: "[He] was a man of action, a virile director who brought out the best in the screenplay" (Jeffrey Meyers).
3. Energetic or forceful: a virile performance of the concerto.
[Middle English, from Old French viril, from Latin virīlis, from vir, man; see wī-ro- in Indo-European roots.]
vi·ril′i·ty (və-rĭl′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Physiology) of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male
2. (Physiology) (of a male) possessing high sexual drive and capacity for sexual intercourse
3. (Physiology) of or capable of copulation or procreation
4. strong, forceful, or vigorous
[C15: from Latin virīlis manly, from vir a man; related to Old English wer man and probably to Latin vis strength]
vir•ile(ˈvɪr əl; esp. Brit. -aɪl)
1. having or exhibiting masculine strength; masculine; manly.
2. characterized by a vigorous, masculine spirit.
3. pertaining to or characteristic of a man, esp. in a copulative function.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||virile - characterized by energy and vigor; "a virile and ever stronger free society"; "a new and virile leadership"|
strong - having strength or power greater than average or expected; "a strong radio signal"; "strong medicine"; "a strong man"
|2.||virile - characteristic of a man; "a deep male voice"; "manly sports"|
masculine - associated with men and not with women
|3.||virile - (of a male) capable of copulation|