virus(redirected from viruses)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to viruses: Computer viruses
n. pl. vi·rus·es
a. Any of various submicroscopic agents that infect living organisms, often causing disease, and that consist of a single or double strand of RNA or DNA surrounded by a protein coat. Unable to replicate without a host cell, viruses are typically not considered living organisms.
b. A disease caused by a virus.
2. A computer program or series of commands that can replicate itself and that spreads by inserting copies of itself into other files or programs which users later transfer to other computers. Viruses usually have a harmful effect, as in erasing all the data on a disk.
3. A harmful or destructive influence: the pernicious virus of racism.
[Latin vīrus, poison.]
n, pl -ruses
1. (Microbiology) any of a group of submicroscopic entities consisting of a single nucleic acid chain surrounded by a protein coat and capable of replication only within the cells of living organisms: many are pathogenic
2. (Pathology) informal a disease caused by a virus
3. any corrupting or infecting influence
4. (Computer Science) computing an unauthorized program that inserts itself into a computer system and then propagates itself to other computers via networks or disks; when activated it interferes with the operation of the computer
[C16: from Latin: slime, poisonous liquid; related to Old English wāse marsh, Greek ios poison]
n., pl. -rus•es.
1. an ultramicroscopic (20 to 300 nm in diameter), metabolically inert, infectious agent that replicates only within the cells of living hosts, mainly bacteria, plants, and animals: composed of an RNA or DNA core, a protein coat, and, in more complex types, a surrounding envelope.
2. a disease caused by a virus.
3. a corrupting influence on morals or the intellect; poison.
4. a segment of self-replicating code planted illegally in a computer program, often to damage or shut down a system or network.
[1590–1600; < Latin vīrus slime, poison; akin to ooze2]
1. Any of a large group of disease-causing agents consisting of a segment of RNA or DNA within a protein shell. All viruses are parasites because they can reproduce only inside the cells of plants, animals, and bacteria. Viruses are usually not considered living organisms.
2. Computer Science A computer program that is meant to disable or damage the computer's memory or to cause another program to malfunction. Computer viruses usually copy themselves over and over.
virus- A Latin word meaning "poison" or "slimy liquid," it first meant "venom of a snake."
See also related terms for poison.
1. An almost lifelike, extremely small particle made of protein and nucleic acid. It needs to parasitize a living cell in order to reproduce.
2. An unauthorized program that inserts itself into a computer’s data and interferes, often destructively, with the computer’s functioning.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||virus - (virology) ultramicroscopic infectious agent that replicates itself only within cells of living hosts; many are pathogenic; a piece of nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) wrapped in a thin coat of protein|
arborvirus, arbovirus - a large heterogeneous group of RNA viruses divisible into groups on the basis of the virions; they have been recovered from arthropods, bats, and rodents; most are borne by arthropods; they are linked by the epidemiologic concept of transmission between vertebrate hosts by arthropod vectors (mosquitoes, ticks, sandflies, midges, etc.) that feed on blood; they can cause mild fevers, hepatitis, hemorrhagic fever, and encephalitis
virion - (virology) a complete viral particle; nucleic acid and capsid (and a lipid envelope in some viruses)
bacteriophage, phage - a virus that is parasitic (reproduces itself) in bacteria; "phage uses the bacterium's machinery and energy to produce more phage until the bacterium is destroyed and phage is released to invade surrounding bacteria"
plant virus - a plant pathogen that is a virus consisting of a single strand of RNA
animal virus - an animal pathogen that is a virus
slow virus - a virus that remains dormant in the body for a long time before symptoms appear; "kuru is caused by a slow virus"
tumor virus - a cell-free filtrate held to be a virus responsible for a specific neoplasm
vector - (genetics) a virus or other agent that is used to deliver DNA to a cell
virology - the branch of medical science that studies viruses and viral diseases
atrophic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatism - a chronic autoimmune disease with inflammation of the joints and marked deformities; something (possibly a virus) triggers an attack on the synovium by the immune system, which releases cytokines that stimulate an inflammatory reaction that can lead to the destruction of all components of the joint
|2.||virus - a harmful or corrupting agency; "bigotry is a virus that must not be allowed to spread"; "the virus of jealousy is latent in everyone"|
|3.||virus - a software program capable of reproducing itself and usually capable of causing great harm to files or other programs on the same computer; "a true virus cannot spread to another computer without human assistance"|
malevolent program - a computer program designed to have undesirable or harmful effects
فيروسفَيْرُوسفيروس في الكومبيوترفيروس، جُرْثومَهفيروسي، جُرْثومي
(Med) → Virus nt or m, → Erreger m; polio virus → Polioerreger m; the AIDS virus → das Aidsvirus; virus disease → Viruskrankheit f; she’s got or caught a virus (inf: = flu etc) → sie hat sich (dat) → was geholt or eingefangen (inf)
(fig) → Geschwür nt
(Comput) → Virus nt or m; virus-infected → virenbefallen; virus detection → Viruserkennung f
virus[ˈvaɪərəs] n → virus m inv
1. any of various types of germs that are a cause of disease. virus فيروس، جُرْثومَه вирус vírus virus das Virus virus ιόςvirus viirus ویروس virus virusוירוס छूत के रोग पैदा करने वाले विषाणु virus vírus virus veira, vírus virus ウイルス 바이러스 virusas vīruss virus virusviruswirus وښ، زهر: وښ لرونكى ماده، زهر لرونكې ماره: ويروس، دناروغۍ عامل: ورانوونكى، زيان رسوونكى، هغه څه چې دانسان ذهن فاسدوي او مسموموي vírus virus вирус vírus virus virus virus เชื้อไวรัส virüs 病毒 вірус جرثومہ vi rút 病毒
2. a computer code that is inserted into a program to destroy information or cause errors. virus فيروس في الكومبيوتر комп. вирус vírus virus der Virus virus ιός Η/Υ virus arvutiviirus ویروس virus virusוירוס वाइरस, विषाणु virus (računalni) számítógépes vírus virus komputer virus コンピューターウイルス 컴퓨터 바이러스 (kompiuterio) virusas datorvīruss virus virusvirus wirus komputerowy زهر вирус počítačový vírus virus virus datavirus ไวรัสคอมพิวเตอร์ virüs 電腦病毒 вірус وائرس، کمپيوٹر نظام کو تباہ کرنے والا کوڈ vi rút máy tính 计算机病毒adjective
He is suffering from a virus infection. virusagtig فيروسي، جُرْثومي вирусен virótico virový Virus-... virus- που προκαλείται από ιό vírico viirus- ویروسی virus- viral סוֹבֵל מְווִירוּס संक्रमण virusni vírus-, vírusos virus veiru- virale ウイルスの 바이러스의 virusinis vīrusa- virus virusvirus-wirusowy زهری virosal viral вирусный vírusový virusen virusni virus- เชื้อไวรัส virüs 病毒的 вірусний متعدي زہر bị lây vi rút 病毒的