Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A thick, golden-brown viscous solution of cellulose xanthate, used in the manufacture of rayon and cellophane.
2. Viscose rayon.
2. Of, relating to, or made from viscose.
1. (Elements & Compounds)
a. a viscous orange-brown solution obtained by dissolving cellulose in sodium hydroxide and carbon disulphide. It can be converted back to cellulose by an acid, as in the manufacture of rayon and cellophane
b. (as modifier): viscose rayon.
2. (Textiles) rayon made from this material
another word for viscous
[C19: from Late Latin viscōsus full of birdlime, sticky, from viscum birdlime; see viscid]
1. a viscous solution prepared by treating cellulose with caustic soda and carbon bisulfide: used in manufacturing regenerated cellulose fibers, sheets, or tubes, as rayon or cellophane.
2. viscose rayon.adj.
3. of, pertaining to, or made from viscose.
[1895–1900; < Latin visc(um) birdlime + -ose2]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||viscose - a cellulose ester obtained by treating cellulose with caustic soda|
cellulose ester - any ester of cellulose with an acid
xanthate - a salt or ester of xanthic acid
|2.||viscose - a rayon fabric made from viscose (cellulose xanthate) fibers|
rayon - a synthetic silklike fabric