visor(redirected from visors)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to visors: sun visors
vi·soralso vi·zor (vī′zər)
1. A piece projecting from the front of a cap or headband to shade or protect the eyes.
2. A transparent, often tinted piece on the front of a safety helmet, designed to protect the face and eyes and usually capable of being raised and lowered.
3. A fixed or movable shield against glare attached above the windshield of an automotive vehicle.
4. The front piece of the helmet of a suit of armor, designed to protect the face and eyes while allowing the wearer to see through a narrow opening.
5. A means of concealment or disguise; a mask.
tr.v. vi·sored, vi·sor·ing, vi·sors also vi·zored or vi·zor·ing or vi·zors
To provide or protect with a visor.
[Alteration of Middle English viser, from Anglo-Norman, from vis, face, from Latin vīsus, appearance; see visage.]
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a transparent flap on a helmet that can be pulled down to protect the face
2. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a piece of armour fixed or hinged to the helmet to protect the face and with slits for the eyes
3. (Clothing & Fashion) another name for peak6
4. (Automotive Engineering) a small movable screen used as protection against glare from the sun, esp one attached above the windscreen of a motor vehicle
5. archaic or literary a mask or any other means of disguise or concealment
(tr) to cover, provide, or protect with a visor; shield
[C14: from Anglo-French viser, from Old French visiere, from vis face; see visage]
ˈvisored, ˈvizored adj
ˈvisorless, ˈvizorless adj
or vi•zor(ˈvaɪ zər)
1. the projecting front brim of a cap.
2. a flap, mounted on the inside of an automobile, used to shield one's eyes from glare.
3. the front piece on a medieval helmet, often being movable and having slits for vision.
4. a means of concealment; disguise.v.t.
5. to protect or mask with a visor; shield.
[1250–1300; Middle English viser < Anglo-French (compare Old French visiere) =vis face (see visage) + -er -er2]
Past participle: visored
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||visor - a piece of armor plate (with eye slits) fixed or hinged to a medieval helmet to protect the face|
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
helmet - armor plate that protects the head
|2.||visor - a brim that projects to the front to shade the eyes; "he pulled down the bill of his cap and trudged ahead"|
brim - a circular projection that sticks outward from the crown of a hat