vocalize(redirected from vocalisations)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
v. vo·cal·ized, vo·cal·iz·ing, vo·cal·iz·es
1. To produce by using the vocal organs: "I said these things out loud, actually vocalized the words" (Joan Didion).
2. To give voice to; articulate: a poem that vocalizes popular sentiment.
3. To mark (a vowelless Hebrew text, for example) with vowel points.
a. To change (a consonant) into a vowel during articulation.
b. To voice.
a. To use the vocal organs to produce sounds: birds that vocalize in flight.
b. To use another organ, such as a swim bladder, to produce sounds.
c. Music To sing.
2. Linguistics To be changed into a vowel.
vo′cal·i·za′tion (-kə-lĭ-zā′shən) n.
1. to express with or use the voice; articulate (a speech, song, etc)
2. (tr) to make vocal or articulate
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) (tr) phonetics
a. to articulate (a speech sound) with voice
b. to change (a consonant) into a vowel
4. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) another word for vowelize
5. (Music, other) (intr) to sing a melody on a vowel, etc
ˌvocaliˈzation, ˌvocaliˈsation n
ˈvocalˌizer, ˈvocalˌiser n
v. -ized, -iz•ing. v.t.
1. to make vocal; utter; articulate.
2. to endow with a voice; cause to utter.
a. to change into a vowel sound.
b. to voice.
4. to vowelize.v.i.
5. to utter sounds using the vocal organs.
a. to sing.
b. to sing without uttering words.
Past participle: vocalized
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||vocalize - utter with vibrating vocal chords |
enounce, enunciate, pronounce, sound out, articulate, say - speak, pronounce, or utter in a certain way; "She pronounces French words in a funny way"; "I cannot say `zip wire'"; "Can the child sound out this complicated word?"
chirk - make a shrill creaking, squeaking, or noise, as of a door, mouse, or bird
|2.||vocalize - sing (each note a scale or in a melody) with the same vowel|
sing - produce tones with the voice; "She was singing while she was cooking"; "My brother sings very well"
|3.||vocalize - pronounce as a vowel; "between two consonants, this liquid is vowelized"|
|4.||vocalize - express or state clearly|
|5.||vocalize - utter speech sounds|
2. To put into words:
articulate, communicate, convey, declare, express, say, state, talk, tell, utter, vent, verbalize, voice.
Idiom: give tongue to.
3. To express oneself in speech:
Idioms: open one's mouth, put in words, wag one's tongue.