Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. Relating to, providing, or arising from sensual pleasure: "a rich, voluptuous cascade of notes from a Spanish guitar" (Tony Perrottet). See Synonyms at sensuous.
2. Having a curvaceous figure. Used of a woman or a woman's body.
3. Devoted to or indulging in sensual pleasures: "the most beautiful woman of that voluptuous Court" (Winston S. Churchill).
[Middle English, from Old French voluptueux, from Latin voluptuōsus, full of pleasure, from voluptās, pleasure; see wel-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. relating to, characterized by, or consisting of pleasures of the body or senses; sensual
2. disposed, devoted, or addicted to sensual indulgence or luxurious pleasures
3. provocative and sexually alluring, esp through shapeliness or fullness: a voluptuous woman.
[C14: from Latin voluptuōsus full of gratification, from voluptās pleasure]
voˈluptuousness, obsolete voluptuosity n
vo•lup•tu•ous(vəˈlʌp tʃu əs)
1. derived from gratification of the senses: voluptuous pleasure.
2. sensuously pleasing or delightful.
3. full and shapely: a voluptuous figure.
4. characterized by or ministering to indulgence in luxury, pleasure, and sensuous enjoyment: a voluptuous life.
[1325–75; Middle English < Latin voluptuōsus, derivative of volupt(ās) pleasure] + -ōsus -ous; -u- probably by association with sumptuōsus sumptuous]
vo•lup′tu•ous•ness, vo•lup`tu•os′i•ty (-ˈɒs ɪ ti) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||voluptuous - having strong sexual appeal; "juicy barmaids"; "a red-hot mama"; "a voluptuous woman"; "a toothsome blonde in a tight dress"|
sexy - marked by or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest; "feeling sexy"; "sexy clothes"; "sexy poses"; "a sexy book"; "sexy jokes"
|2.||voluptuous - (of a woman's body) having a large bosom and pleasing curves; "Hollywood seems full of curvaceous blondes"; "a curvy young woman in a tight dress"|
shapely - having a well-proportioned and pleasing shape; "a slim waist and shapely legs"
|3.||voluptuous - displaying luxury and furnishing gratification to the senses; "an epicurean banquet"; "enjoyed a luxurious suite with a crystal chandelier and thick oriental rugs"; "Lucullus spent the remainder of his days in voluptuous magnificence"; "a chinchilla robe of sybaritic lavishness"|
indulgent - characterized by or given to yielding to the wishes of someone ; "indulgent grandparents"
1. buxom, shapely, curvaceous, erotic, ample, enticing, provocative, seductive (informal), well-stacked (Brit. slang), full-bosomed a voluptuous, well-rounded lady with glossy red hair
voluptuous[vəˈlʌptjʊəs] ADJ → voluptuoso
voluptuous[vəˈlʌptʃuəs] adj → voluptueux/euse
voluptuous[vəˈlʌptjʊəs] adj (pleasure, sensation) → voluttuoso/a; (lips, figure) → sensuale
a. voluptuoso-a, provocador-a, sensual;