Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The symbol for tungsten.
[From German Wolfram; see wolfram.]
5. Sports win
6. Sports winger
Hollywood sign, Los Angeles, California
Originally reading "Hollywoodland," the Hollywood sign was erected in 1923 at the cost of $21,000 as an advertisement for a real estate development.
w 1or W (dŭb′əl-yo͞o, -yo͝o)
n. pl. w's or W's also ws or Ws
1. The 23rd letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter w.
3. The 23rd in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter W.
3. Physics work
n, pl w's, W's or Ws
1. (Linguistics) the 23rd letter and 18th consonant of the modern English alphabet
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) a speech sound represented by this letter, in English usually a bilabial semivowel, as in web
1. (General Physics) watt
2. (Navigation) West
3. (General Physics) physics work
4. (Elements & Compounds) chem tungsten
5. (Clothing & Fashion) women's (size)
[(sense 4) from New Latin wolframium, from German Wolfram]
W, w(ˈdʌb əlˌyu, -yʊ; rapidly ˈdʌb yə)
n., pl. Ws W's, ws w's.
1. the 23rd letter of the English alphabet, a semivowel.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something shaped like a W.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter W or w.
1. the 23rd in order or in a series.
2. Chem. tungsten.
[< German Wolfram wolfram]
3. Biochem. tryptophan.
Symbol. the positively charged W particle.
Symbol. the negatively charged W particle.
10. Physics. work.
12. Physics. work.
The symbol for tungsten.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||W - a heavy grey-white metallic element; the pure form is used mainly in electrical applications; it is found in several ores including wolframite and scheelite|
metal, metallic element - any of several chemical elements that are usually shiny solids that conduct heat or electricity and can be formed into sheets etc.
scheelite - a mineral used as an ore of tungsten
|2.||W - the cardinal compass point that is a 270 degrees|
cardinal compass point - one of the four main compass points
|3.||W - a unit of power equal to 1 joule per second; the power dissipated by a current of 1 ampere flowing across a resistance of 1 ohm|
power unit - a measure of electric power
milliwatt - a unit of power equal to one thousandth of a watt
|4.||w - the 23rd letter of the Roman alphabet|
Latin alphabet, Roman alphabet - the alphabet evolved by the ancient Romans which serves for writing most of the languages of western Europe
W1 w1 [ˈdʌbljʊ] N (= letter) → W, w f
W for William → W de Washington
W2 ABBR =west → O
w2 ABBR =watt(s) → w
Ww [ˈdʌbəljuː] n (= letter) → W m, w m
W for William → W comme William
(=west) → O
(=watt) → W
Ww [ˈdʌbljuː] n (letter) → W, w f or m inv
W for William → W come Washington
a. =West → O
b. (Elec) =watt → W
watt(s). W إخْتِصار لِكَلِمَة واط: وَحْدَة القُدْرَة الكَهْرُبائِيَّه ват W watt (zkratka) W, der Watt w; watt βατV. W (vati lühend) وات watti W וַט वाट का संक्षिप्त vat watt watt watt ワット 와트 vatas, vatai vats W W, watt W (watt) W, watt وات ватт watt (jednotka elektrickej sily) vat vat w,watt ตัวย่อของคำว่า วัตต์ ซึ่งเป็นหน่วยวัดไฟฟ้า vat 瓦特 ват تواناءی کی علامت oát, đơn vị điện năng 瓦特