wager(redirected from wagers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. An agreement under which each bettor pledges a certain amount to the other depending on the outcome of an unsettled matter.
b. A matter bet on; a gamble.
2. Something that is staked on an uncertain outcome; a bet: a wager of $20.
3. Archaic A pledge of personal combat to resolve an issue or case.
v. wa·gered, wa·ger·ing, wa·gers
To risk or stake (an amount or possession) on an uncertain outcome; bet.
To make a bet.
[Middle English, from Anglo-Norman wageure, from Old North French wagier, to pledge, from wage, pledge; see wage.]
1. (Gambling, except Cards) an agreement or pledge to pay an amount of money as a result of the outcome of an unsettled matter
2. (Gambling, except Cards) an amount staked on the outcome of such a matter or event
3. (Historical Terms) wager of battle (in medieval Britain) a pledge to do battle for a cause, esp to decide guilt or innocence by single combat
4. (Law) wager of law English legal history a form of trial in which the accused offered to make oath of his innocence, supported by the oaths of 11 of his neighbours declaring their belief in his statements
5. (Gambling, except Cards) (when tr, may take a clause as object) to risk or bet (something) on the outcome of an unsettled matter
6. (Historical Terms) (tr) history to pledge oneself to (battle)
[C14: from Anglo-French wageure a pledge, from Old Northern French wagier to pledge; see wage]
1. something risked or staked on an uncertain event; bet.
2. the act of betting.
3. the subject or terms of a bet.v.t.
4. to risk (something) on the outcome of a contest, event, etc.; bet.
5. Hist. to pledge oneself to (battle) for the decision of a cause.v.i.
6. to make or offer a wager; bet.
[1275–1325; Middle English wajour, wager solemn pledge < Anglo-French wageure=wage(r) to pledge (see wage) + -ure -ure]
See also related terms for security.
Past participle: wagered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wager - the act of gambling; "he did it on a bet"|
gambling, gaming, play - the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize); "his gambling cost him a fortune"; "there was heavy play at the blackjack table"
daily double - a single bet on two horse races in the same day
parimutuel - betting where winners share the total amount wagered
parlay - a series of wagers in which the winnings from one wager are used as a stake for the subsequent wagers
place bet - a bet that a horse will finish a race no worse than second
superfecta - a bet that you can pick the first four finishers in a race in the right order
|2.||wager - the money risked on a gamble |
gamble - money that is risked for possible monetary gain
ante - (poker) the initial contribution that each player makes to the pot
pool - any communal combination of funds; "everyone contributed to the pool"
|Verb||1.||wager - stake on the outcome of an issue; "I bet $100 on that new horse"; "She played all her money on the dark horse"|
gamble - play games for money
bet on, gage, game, stake, punt, back - place a bet on; "Which horse are you backing?"; "I'm betting on the new horse"
play - make bets; "Play the races"; "play the casinos in Trouville"
raise - bet more than the previous player
see - match or meet; "I saw the bet of one of my fellow players"
|2.||wager - maintain with or as if with a bet; "I bet she will be there!"|
vt → wetten (→ on auf +acc); one’s honour, life → verpfänden; I’ll wager you £2 my horse wins → ich wette mit Ihnen um £ 2, dass mein Pferd gewinnt; he won’t do it, I wager! (dated) → ich wette, dass er es nicht tut!
vi → wetten (→ on auf +acc)
a bet. We made a wager that he would win. weddenskap رِهان бас aposta sázka die Wette væddemål στοίχημαapuesta kihlvedu شرط veto pariהימור बाजी oklada fogadás taruhan veðmál scommessa 賭け 내기 lažybos derības pertaruhan weddenschapveddemålzakład داو، شرط، داو وهنه، شرط تړنه aposta pariu пари stávka stava opklada vad การพนัน bahis 賭注 заклад, парі شرط sự cá cược 赌注verb
to bet (something) on the chance of something happening. I'll wager (ten dollars) that I can jump further than you. wed يُراهِن обазалгам се apostar vsadit (se) wetten vædde στοιχηματίζωapostar kihla vedama شرط بندي lyödä vetoa parier לְהַמֵר दाव लगाना kladiti se fogad bertaruh veðja scommettere 賭ける 돈을 걸다 lažintis derēt bertaruh verweddenvedde założyć się o داو وهل، شرط تړل، جواى كول apostar a paria ставить staviť staviti opkladiti se slå vad om เดิมพัน; วางเดิมพัน bahse girmek (以某物)打賭 закладатися شرط لگانا cá cược 打赌，押注