Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to wale: whale
1. A mark raised on the skin, as by a whip; a weal or welt.
a. One of the parallel ribs or ridges in the surface of a fabric such as corduroy.
b. The texture or weave of such a fabric: a wide wale.
a. A gunwale.
b. One of the heavy planks or strakes extending along the sides of a wooden ship.
tr.v. waled, wal·ing, wales
To raise marks on (the skin), as by whipping.
[Middle English, from Old English, variant of walu; see wel-2 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (Pathology) the raised mark left on the skin after the stroke of a rod or whip
2. (Textiles) the weave or texture of a fabric, such as the ribs in corduroy
3. (Knitting & Sewing) a vertical row of stitches in knitting. Compare course14
4. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. a ridge of planking along the rail of a ship
b. See gunwale
5. to raise a wale or wales on by striking
6. (Textiles) to weave with a wale
[Old English walu weal1; related to Old Norse vala knuckle, Dutch wäle]
1. a choice
2. anything chosen as the best
(tr) to choose
[C14: from Old Norse val choice, related to German Wahl]
n., v. waled, wal•ing. n.
1. a ridge or stripe produced on the skin by the stroke of a rod or whip; welt.
2. the vertical rib or cord in woven cloth.
3. the texture or weave of a fabric.
4. any of certain strakes of thick outside planking on the sides of a wooden ship.
5. a horizontal timber or other support for reinforcing various upright members.v.t.
6. to mark with wales.
7. to weave with wales.
8. to reinforce with a wale or wales.
[before 1050; Middle English; Old English walu ridge, rib]
Walea selection, or that chosen as the best.
Example: wale of pleasures, 1887.
Past participle: waled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wale - a raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip); characteristic of many allergic reactions|
|2.||wale - thick plank forming a ridge along the side of a wooden ship|
gun rest, gunnel, gunwale - wale at the top of the side of boat; topmost planking of a wooden vessel