Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Pigments applied to the face or body in preparation for battle, as in certain traditional societies.
2. Informal Cosmetics such as lipstick, rouge, or mascara.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) painted decoration of the face and body applied by certain North American Indians before battle
2. (Clothing & Fashion) informal finery or regalia
3. (Clothing & Fashion) informal cosmetics
1. paint applied by American Indians to their faces and bodies before going to war.
2. Informal. makeup; cosmetics.
3. Informal. full dress; regalia.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||war paint - adornment consisting of paint applied to the face and body of certain Amerindians before a battle|
adornment - a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
|2.||war paint - full ceremonial regalia |
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|3.||war paint - cosmetics applied to the face to improve or change your appearance|
blackface - the makeup (usually burnt cork) used by a performer in order to imitate a Negro
cosmetic - a toiletry designed to beautify the body
eyebrow pencil - makeup provided by a cosmetic pencil that is used to darken the eyebrows
eyeliner - makeup applied to emphasize the shape of the eyes
eyeshadow - makeup consisting of a cosmetic substance used to darken the eyes
face powder - cosmetic powder for the face
greasepaint - a greasy substance used as makeup by actors
kohl - a cosmetic preparation used by women in Egypt and Arabia to darken the edges of their eyelids
lip-gloss - makeup that makes the lips shiny
mascara - makeup that is used to darken and thicken the eye lashes