wastrel(redirected from wastrels)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. One who wastes, especially one who wastes money; a profligate.
2. An idler or a loafer.
1. a wasteful person; spendthrift; prodigal
2. an idler or vagabond
1. a wasteful person; spendthrift.
2. an idler; good-for-nothing.
wastrel- Pronounced WAYS-trul, it is either a wasteful or worthless person, derived from the verb "waste," from Latin vastus, "desert, waste."
See also related terms for waste.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wastrel - someone who dissipates resources self-indulgently|
1. layabout, loser, shirker, good-for-nothing, piker (Austral. & N.Z. slang), drone, loafer, waster, skiver (Brit. slang), idler, ne'er-do-well, malingerer, saddo (Brit. slang), bludger (Austral. & N.Z. informal) Her husband is a workshy, good-for-nothing wastrel.
1. A person who spends money or resources wastefully: