carver(redirected from wax carver)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
v. carved, carv·ing, carves
a. To divide into pieces by cutting; slice: carved a roast.
b. To divide by parceling out: carve up an estate.
2. To cut into a desired shape; fashion by cutting: carve the wood into a figure.
3. To make or form by or as if by cutting: carve initials in the bark; carved out an empire.
4. To decorate by cutting and shaping carefully.
5. To make (a turn or turns) smoothly and without skidding, as when skiing or riding a snowboard, by leaning sharply into the direction of the turn.
1. To engrave or cut figures as an art, hobby, or trade.
2. To disjoint, slice, and serve meat or poultry.
3. To carve turns, as when skiing.
Car·ver(kär′vər), George Washington 1864?-1943.
American botanist, agricultural chemist, and educator who enumerated hundreds of uses for the peanut, soybean, and sweet potato and encouraged Southern farmers to produce these soil-enriching cash crops.
Carver, John 1576?-1621.
English-born Pilgrim colonist who was the first governor of Plymouth Colony (1620-1621).
1. (Cookery) a carving knife
2. (Cookery) (plural) a large matched knife and fork for carving meat
3. (Furniture) Brit a chair with arms that forms part of a set of dining chairs
(Biography) George Washington. ?1864–1943, US agricultural chemist and botanist
1. George Washington, 1864?–1943, U.S. botanist and chemist.
2. John, 1575?–1621, Pilgrim leader: first governor of Plymouth Colony 1620–21.
3. Raymond, 1938–88, U.S. short-story writer and poet.
A special operations forces acronym used throughout the targeting and mission planning cycle to assess mission validity and requirements. The acronym stands for criticality, accessibility, recuperability, vulnerability, effect, and recognizability.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Carver - United States botanist and agricultural chemist who developed many uses for peanuts and soy beans and sweet potatoes (1864-1943)|
|2.||carver - makes decorative wooden panels|
|3.||carver - an artist who creates sculptures |
sculptress - a woman sculptor
|4.||carver - someone who carves the meat|
diner - a person eating a meal (especially in a restaurant)