|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
6,912,835,384 visitors served.
|Also found in: Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia||0.03 sec.|
1. we will or we shall
adv., adj. compar. bet•ter, superl. best, adv.
1. in a good or satisfactory manner: Our plans are going well.
2. thoroughly, carefully, or soundly: Shake well before using.
3. in a moral or proper manner: to behave well.
4. commendably, meritoriously, or excellently: a difficult task well handled.
5. with propriety, justice, or reason: I could not well refuse.
6. with favor or approval: to think well of someone.
7. comfortably or prosperously: to live well.
8. to a considerable extent or degree: a sum well over the amount agreed upon.
9. with great or intimate knowledge: to know a person well.
10. certainly; without doubt: I cry easily, as you well know.
11. with good nature; without rancor: He took the joke well.adj.
12. in good health; sound in body and mind: He is not a well man.
13. satisfactory, pleasing, or good: All is well with us.
14. proper, fitting, or gratifying: It is well that you didn't go.
15. in a satisfactory position; well-off: I am very well as I am.interj.
16. (used to express surprise, reproof, etc.): Well! There's no need to shout.
17. (used to introduce a sentence, resume a conversation, etc.): Well, it's time to go home.n.
18. well-being; good fortune; success: to wish well to someone.Idioms:
1. as well, in addition; also; too.
2. as well as, as much or as truly as; equally as: witty as well as kind.
3. leave well enough alone, to avoid changing something that is satisfactory.
[before 900; Middle English, Old English wel(l) (adj. and adv.), c. Old Frisian, Old Saxon wel, Old Norse vel]
usage: See good.well2 (wɛl)
1. a hole drilled or bored into the earth to obtain water, petroleum, natural gas, brine, or sulfur.
2. a spring or natural source of water.
3. an apparent reservoir or a source of human feelings, emotions, energy, etc.: a well of compassion.
4. a container, receptacle, or reservoir for a liquid, as ink.
5. any sunken or deep enclosed space, as a shaft for air or light, stairs, or an elevator, extending vertically through the floors of a building.
6. a hollow compartment, recessed area, or depression for holding a specific item or items, as fish in the bottom of a boat or the retracted wheels of an airplane in flight.
7. Naut. a part of a weather deck between two superstructures, extending from one side of a vessel to the other.v.i.
8. to rise, spring, or gush, as water, from the earth or some other source (often fol. by up, out, or forth): Tears welled up in my eyes.v.t.
9. to send welling up or forth.adj.
10. like, of, resembling, from, or used in connection with a well.
[before 900; (n.) Middle English well(e), Old English wylle, wella, c. Old High German welle wave; (v.) Middle English; Old English weallan to boil, melt, c. Old Saxon, Old High German wallan]we'll (wil; unstressed wɪl)
contraction of we shall or we will.
we'll [ˈwiːl](STRONG) [wil] = we will, we shall
well-adjusted well adjusted [ˌwɛləˈdʒʌstɪd] adj [person] → équilibré(e)
well advised well-advised [ˌwɛlædˈvaɪzd] adj [action, decision] → sage
sb would be well advised to do sth → qn serait bien avisé(e) de faire qch
well-appointed [ˌwɛləˈpɔɪntɪd] adj [house, room] → bien aménagé(e)
well-assorted [ˌwɛləˈsɔːrtɪd] adj → bien assorti(e)
well-attended [ˌwɛləˈtɛndɪd] adj [meeting, lecture, show, play] → qui attire beaucoup de monde
to be well-attended → attirer beaucoup de monde
well-balanced well balanced [ˌwɛlˈbælənst] adj
[person] (= stable) → équilibré(e)
[diet] → équilibré(e)
a well balanced diet → une alimentation équilibrée
well-behaved [ˌwɛlbɪˈheɪvd] adj [child, animal] → sage
to be well-behaved [soldiers, football fans] → bien se comporter
well-being wellbeing [ˌwɛlˈbiːɪŋ] n → bien-être m
a sense of wellbeing → une sensation de bien-être
well-born [ˌwɛlˈbɔːrn] adj → bien né(e)
well-bred [ˌwɛlˈbrɛd] adj (= courteous) → bien élevé(e) (= of good family) → de bonne famille
well-brought-up well brought up [ˌwɛlbrɔːtˈʌp] adj → bien élevé(e)
well-built [ˌwɛlˈbɪlt] adj
[house] → bien construit(e)
[person] → bien bâti(e)
well-chosen [ˌwɛlˈtʃəʊzən] adj [remarks] → pertinent(e); [words] → choisi(e)
in well-chosen words → en termes choisis
well-connected well connected [ˌwɛlkəˈnɛktɪd] adj → bien introduit(e)
well-cooked [ˌwɛlˈkʊkt] adj
[food, meal] → bien cuisiné(e)
(= not rare) [meat] → bien cuit(e)
well-defined [ˌwɛldɪˈfaɪnd] adj
(= precisely defined) [problem, structure, distinction] → bien défini(e)
well-deserved [ˌwɛldɪˈzɜːrvd] adj → mérité(e)
well-designed [ˌwɛldɪˈzaɪnd] adj → bien conçu(e)
well disposed well-disposed [ˌwɛldɪˈspəʊzd] adj
to be well-disposed to sth → voir qch d'un bon œil
to be well-disposed towards sb → être bien disposé(e) envers qn
well-dressed [ˌwɛlˈdrɛst] adj → bien habillé(e)
well-earned [ˌwɛlˈɜːrnd] adj [rest] → bien mérité(e)
well-educated [ˌwɛlˈɛdʒʊkeɪtɪd] adj → cultivé(e)
well-equipped [ˌwɛlɪˈkwɪpt] adj → bien équipé(e)
well-established well established [ˌwɛlɪˈstæblɪʃt] adj [tradition, custom] → bien établi(e); [company, organization] → bien établi(e)
well-fed [ˌwɛlˈfɛd] adj → bien nourri(e)
well-founded well founded [ˌwɛlˈfaʊndɪd] adj [suspicion, criticism] → fondé(e)
well groomed well-groomed [ˌwɛlˈgruːmd] adj [person] → soigné(e) (de sa personne); [appearance] → soigné(e); [hair] → bien coiffé(e)
well-heeled [ˌwɛlˈhiːld] adj → nanti(e)
well-hung [ˌwɛlˈhʌŋ] adj [man] → bien membré
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
as soon as
at the best
at the worst
We'll just have to write it out--we can buy foolscap from the teacher.
But we'll take you to Barnesdale and burn you for a witch if you do not instantly tell us when you last saw Robin Hood.
We'll put it, for argument like, that your captain has a cut on one cheek--and we'll put it, if you like, that that cheek's the right one.
We Will Rock You
We Wish You A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year
We Work Together Show
We would like to go cycling
We'd like a dessert
We'd like a site for a campervan
We'd like a site for a caravan
We'd like a site for a conversion van
We'd like a site for a tent
We'd like a site for a trailer
We'd like an aperitif
We'd like dessert
We'd like to go cycling
We'd like to go to ...
We'd like to play tennis
We'd like to reserve two seats for tonight
We'd like to see local plants and trees
We'd like to see nobody but ourselves all day!
We'd like to see nobody but us all day!
We'd like to see spectacular views
We'd like to see wildlife
We'd like to visit ...
we'llWe'll be in bed when you get back
We'll Be Loyal Scouts
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it
We'll have to report it to the police
We'll Sleep When We're Dead
We'll take the set menu
We'll try again some Other time
We're All Going Down
We're At The Dump
We're Done Here
We're Essential Parents Too
We're Experiencing Technical Difficulties
We're Fordham University's Voice
We're going to ...
We're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat
We're having a nice time
We're here for a wedding
We're in Demand
We're looking for ...
We're looking for a hotel
We're looking for an apartment
We're on our honeymoon
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup