whang(redirected from whangs)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
whang 1(wăng, hwăng)
1. A thong or whip of hide or leather.
a. A lashing blow, as of a whip.
b. The sound of such a blow.
3. Vulgar Slang The penis.
tr.v. whanged, whang·ing, whangs
1. To beat or whip with a thong.
2. To beat with a sharp blow or blows.
[Dialectal variant of Middle English thong, thwang, thong; see thong.]
whang 2(wăng, hwăng) Informal
v. whanged, whang·ing, whangs
To strike so as to produce a loud, reverberant noise.
To produce a loud, reverberant noise.
A loud, reverberant noise.
to strike or be struck so as to cause a resounding noise
1. the resounding noise produced by a heavy blow
2. a heavy blow
[C19: of imitative origin]
a leather thong
(tr) to strike with or as if with a thong
[C17: variant of thong]
1. a resounding blow.
2. the sound produced by such a blow.v.t.
3. to strike with a resounding blow.v.i.
4. to resound with such a blow.
1. a thong, esp. of leather.
3. Slang: Sometimes Vulgar. penis.
Past participle: whanged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whang - the act of hitting vigorously; "he gave the table a whack"|
blow - a powerful stroke with the fist or a weapon; "a blow on the head"
|Verb||1.||whang - beat with force|
beat - hit repeatedly; "beat on the door"; "beat the table with his shoe"
|2.||whang - propel or hit with force; "whang the ball"|
hit - cause to move by striking; "hit a ball"
|3.||whang - attack forcefully; "whang away at the school reform plan"|