Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms.
1. For what purpose or reason; why.
A purpose or cause: wanted to know all the whys and wherefores.
(usually plural) an explanation or reason (esp in the phrase the whys and wherefores)
archaic for what reason? why?
(Law) archaic or formal for which reason: used as an introductory word in legal preambles
where•fore(ˈʰwɛərˌfɔr, -ˌfoʊr, ˈwɛər-)
1. for that cause or reason: Wherefore let us be grateful.
2. Archaic. for what? why?n.
3. the cause or reason: to study the whys and wherefores of a situation.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wherefore - the cause or intention underlying an action or situation, especially in the phrase `the whys and wherefores'|
1. That which provides a reason or justification:
Idiom: why and wherefore.