Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various spinning toys.
2. A carousel; a merry-go-round.
3. Something that continuously whirls.
4. A whirligig beetle.
[Middle English whirlegigge : whirlen, whirl; see whirl + -gigge, something that rotates (possibly of Scandinavian origin; akin to gig).]
1. (Other Non-sporting Hobbies) any spinning toy, such as a top
2. another name for merry-go-round
3. anything that whirls about, spins, or moves in a circular or giddy way: the whirligig of social life.
4. (Other Non-sporting Hobbies) another name for windmill3
[C15: whirlegigge, from whirl + gig1]
whirl•i•gig(ˈʰwɜr lɪˌgɪg, ˈwɜr-)
1. something that whirls or revolves.
2. a whirling motion or course.
3. a flighty person.
4. a merry-go-round; carousel.
5. a toy for whirling or spinning, as a top.Also called whirl•a•bout (ˈʰwɜrl əˌbaʊt)
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whirligig - a conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin; "he got a bright red top and string for his birthday"|
humming top - a top that makes a humming noise as it spins
peg top - a pear-shaped top made of wood with a metal center pin
|2.||whirligig - a large, rotating machine with seats for children to ride or amusement|
ride - a mechanical device that you ride for amusement or excitement
|Verb||1.||whirligig - whirl or spin like a whirligig|