whispering(redirected from whisperings)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Soft speech produced without using the full voice.
2. Something uttered very softly: overheard his whisper.
3. A secretly or surreptitiously expressed belief, rumor, or hint: whispers of scandal.
4. A low rustling sound: the whisper of wind in the pines.
v. whis·pered, whis·per·ing, whis·pers
1. To speak softly.
2. To speak quietly and privately, as by way of gossip, slander, or intrigue.
3. To make a soft rustling sound.
1. To utter very softly.
2. To say or tell privately or secretly.
[From Middle English whisperen, to whisper, from Old English hwisprian.]
1. the act of speaking in a low soft voice
2. the act of uttering or suggesting something secretly or privately
3. a low soft rustling sound
4. (of a voice) low and soft
5. making a low soft rustling sound
whis•per•ing(ˈʰwɪs pər ɪŋ, ˈwɪs-)
1. whispered talk or conversation.
2. rumor or gossip.
3. a whispered sound.adj.
4. making a sound like a whisper.
5. like a whisper.
7. conversing in whispers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whispering - a light noise, like the noise of silk clothing or leaves blowing in the wind|
noise - sound of any kind (especially unintelligible or dissonant sound); "he enjoyed the street noises"; "they heard indistinct noises of people talking"; "during the firework display that ended the gala the noise reached 98 decibels"
|2.||whispering - speaking softly without vibration of the vocal cords|
stage whisper - a loud whisper that can be overheard; on the stage it is heard by the audience but it supposed to be inaudible to the rest of the cast
|Adj.||1.||whispering - making a low continuous indistinct sound; "like murmuring waves"; "susurrant voices"|
soft - (of sound) relatively low in volume; "soft voices"; "soft music"
whispering[ˈhwɪspərɪŋ] n → chuchotements mpl
n → Geflüster nt no pl, → Flüstern nt no pl; (poet: of wind) → Säuseln nt no pl; (of schoolchildren) → Tuscheln nt no pl, → Getuschel nt no pl; (fig) → Gemunkel nt no pl, → Getuschel nt no pl
n → Verleumdungskampagne f
n → Flüstergewölbe nt → or -galerie f