whore(redirected from whoring)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
Related to whoring: harlot, strumpet, prostituting
1. A prostitute.
2. Often Offensive A person considered sexually promiscuous.
3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.
intr.v. whored, whor·ing, whoresPhrasal Verb:
1. To associate or have sexual relations with prostitutes or a prostitute.
2. To accept payment in exchange for sexual relations.
3. To compromise one's principles for personal gain.
1. To compromise one's principles for personal gain.
2. To offer (oneself or another) for sexual activity in exchange for money or personal gain.
3. To exploit (someone or something) crassly or unscrupulously for personal gain.
Word History: Derivatives of Indo-European roots have often acquired starkly contrasting meanings. A prime example is the case of the root *kā-, "to like, desire." From it was derived a stem *kāro-, from which came the prehistoric Common Germanic word *hōraz with the underlying meaning "one who desires" and the effective meaning "adulterer." The feminine of this, *hōrōn-, became hōre in Old English, the ancestor of Modern English whore. In another branch of the Indo-European family, the same stem *kāro- produced the Latin word cārus, "dear." This word has several derivatives borrowed into English, including caress, cherish, and charity, in Christian doctrine the highest form of love and the greatest of the theological virtues. · Another derivative of the root *kā- in Indo-European was *kāmo-, a descendant of which is the Sanskrit word for "love," kāmaḥ, appearing in the name of the most famous treatise on love and lovemaking, the Kamasutra.
a prostitute or promiscuous woman: often a term of abuse
1. to be or act as a prostitute
2. (of a man) to have promiscuous sexual relations, esp with prostitutes
3. (often foll by after) to seek that which is immoral, idolatrous, etc
[Old English hōre; related to Old Norse hōra, Old High German hvora, Latin carus dear]
whore(hɔr, hoʊr; often hʊər)
n., v. whored, whor•ing. n.
1. a prostitute, esp. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse for money.v.i.
2. to act as a whore.
3. to consort with whores.
[before 1100; Middle English, Old English hōre, c. Old High German huo(r)ra, Old Norse hōra]
Past participle: whored
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whore - a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money|
bawd, cocotte, cyprian, fancy woman, harlot, lady of pleasure, prostitute, sporting lady, tart, woman of the street, working girl
call girl - a female prostitute who can be hired by telephone
camp follower - a prostitute who provides service to military personnel
comfort woman, ianfu - a woman forced into prostitution for Japanese servicemen during World War II; "she wrote a book about her harsh experiences as a comfort woman"
demimondaine - a woman whose sexual promiscuity places her outside respectable society
hustler, slattern, street girl, streetwalker, floozie, floozy, hooker - a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
white slave - a woman sold into prostitution
|Verb||1.||whore - work as a prostitute|
work - exert oneself by doing mental or physical work for a purpose or out of necessity; "I will work hard to improve my grades"; "she worked hard for better living conditions for the poor"
|2.||whore - have unlawful sex with a whore|
fornicate - have sex without being married
|3.||whore - compromise oneself for money or other gains; "She whored herself to Hollywood"|
compromise - make a compromise; arrive at a compromise; "nobody will get everything he wants; we all must compromise"
1. prostitute, hooker (U.S. slang), tart (informal), streetwalker, tom (Brit. slang), brass (slang), slag (Brit. slang), hustler (U.S. & Canad. slang), call girl, courtesan, working girl (facetious slang), harlot, loose woman, fallen woman, scrubber (Brit. & Austral. slang), strumpet, trollop, lady of the night, cocotte, woman of easy virtue, demimondaine, woman of ill repute, fille de joie (French), demirep (rare) There were pimps and whores standing on every street corner.
1. prostitute yourself, solicit, hustle (U.S. & Canad. slang), walk the streets, sell yourself, be on the game (slang), sell your body women who have to whore in order to survive
1. A woman who engages in sexual intercourse for payment:
bawd, call girl, camp follower, courtesan, harlot, prostitute, scarlet woman, streetwalker, strumpet, tart.
Idioms: lady of easy virtue, lady of pleasure, lady of the night.
whore[ˈhɔːr] n (pejorative) → putain f
whore[hɔːʳ] n (pej) → puttana
a prostitute. hoer زانِيَه проститутка meretriz / prostituta děvka, kurva die Hure hore πόρνηputa hoor فاحشه کردن huora putainזונה रण्डी prostitutka, kurva kurva pelacur puttana 売春婦 매춘부 kekšė, prostitutė prostitūta pelacur hoerhore, ludder kurwa كاسيره، بدلمنى ښځه، كنچنۍ، فاحشه шлюха prostitútka, pobehlica kurba prostitutka hora หญิงโสเภณี orospu, fahişe 娼妓 проститутка, повія فاحشہ gái điếm 娼妓