Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to whortleberry: Red Whortleberry
1. Any of various deciduous shrubs of the genus Vaccinium of the heath family having edible blue, black, or red berries, especially the bilberry.
2. The fruit of any of these plants.
[Dialectal variant of hurtleberry, from Middle English hurtilbery, ultimately from Old English *horte, whortleberry (attested in pl. hortan).]
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) Also called : huckleberry, hurt (dialect) or whort a small Eurasian ericaceous shrub, Vaccinium myrtillus, greenish-pink flowers and edible sweet blackish berries
2. (Cookery) the fruit of this shrub
3. (Plants) bog whortleberry a related plant, V. uliginosum, of mountain regions, having pink flowers and black fruits
[C16: southwestern English dialect form of hurtleberry; of unknown origin]
bil•ber•ry(ˈbɪlˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. a low-growing blueberry shrub, Vaccinium myrtillus, common on heaths of Great Britain and N Europe.
2. its blue-black berry.Also called whortleberry.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whortleberry - erect European blueberry having solitary flowers and blue-black berries|
|2.||whortleberry - blue-black berries similar to American blueberries|
berry - any of numerous small and pulpy edible fruits; used as desserts or in making jams and jellies and preserves