Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to wryneck: piculet
1. Either of two small woodpeckers, Jynx torquilla of Eurasia and Africa or J. ruficollis of sub-Saharan Africa, having a sharply pointed bill and the ability to twist the neck almost all the way around.
a. See torticollis.
b. A person with torticollis.
1. (Animals) either of two cryptically coloured Old World woodpeckers, Jynx torquilla or J. ruficollis, which do not drum on trees
2. (Pathology) another name for torticollis
3. (Pathology) informal a person who has a twisted neck
b. a person having torticollis.
2. either of two small Old World birds of the genus Jynx, of the woodpecker family, with mottled gray-brown plumage: noted for their snakelike contortions of the neck when disturbed on the nest.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wryneck - an unnatural condition in which the head leans to one side because the neck muscles on that side are contracted|
|2.||wryneck - Old World woodpecker with a peculiar habit of twisting the neck|
peckerwood, woodpecker, pecker - bird with strong claws and a stiff tail adapted for climbing and a hard chisel-like bill for boring into wood for insects