Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to xylidine: Xylyl
xy·li·dine(zī′lĭ-dēn′, -dĭn, zĭl′ĭ-)
1. Any of six toxic isomeric anilines, C8H11N, derived from xylene, used chiefly as dye intermediates.
2. Any of various mixtures of xylidine isomers.
xylidine(ˈzaɪlɪˌdiːn; -ˌdaɪn; ˈzɪlɪ-)
1. (Elements & Compounds) a mixture of six isomeric amines derived from xylene and used in dyes. Formula: (CH3)2C6H3NH2
2. (Elements & Compounds) any one of these isomers
xy•li•dine(ˈzaɪ lɪˌdin, -dɪn, ˈzɪl ɪ-)
1. any of six xylene-derived isomeric compounds that have the formula C8H11N and resemble aniline: used in dye manufacture.
2. an oily liquid consisting of a mixture of certain of these compounds, used commercially in making dyes.