Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to years: Pack Years, Dog years
1. Any of various calendrical units based on the time the earth takes to revolve once around the sun, especially:
a. In the Gregorian calendar, a period beginning on January 1 and ending on December 31, consisting of 365 or 366 days in 12 months. Also called calendar year.
b. A period of 365 or 366 days used as the basis for another calendar such as the Julian calendar.
c. A period of 12 or 13 lunar months in a lunisolar calendar such as the Jewish calendar.
d. A period of 12 lunar months in a lunar calendar such as the Islamic calendar.
2. A sidereal year.
3. A solar year.
4. A period of about a year: We were married a year ago.
5. A period equal to the calendar year but beginning on a different date: a tax-reckoning year; a farming year.
6. An annually recurring period devoted to a special activity: the academic year.
7. years Age, especially old age: I'm feeling my years.
8. years An indefinitely long period of time: it's been years since we saw her.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||years - a late time of life; "old age is not for sissies"; "he's showing his years"; "age hasn't slowed him down at all"; "a beard white with eld"; "on the brink of geezerhood"|
time of life - a period of time during which a person is normally in a particular life state
|2.||years - a prolonged period of time; "we've known each other for ages"; "I haven't been there for years and years"|
period, period of time, time period - an amount of time; "a time period of 30 years"; "hastened the period of time of his recovery"; "Picasso's blue period"
month of Sundays - a time perceived as long; "I hadn't seen him in a month of Sundays"
blue moon - a long time; "something that happens once in blue moon almost never happens"
year dot - as long ago as anyone can remember; "he has been a conductor since the year dot"
|3.||years - the time during which someone's life continues; "the monarch's last days"; "in his final years"|
life - the period from the present until death; "he appointed himself emperor for life"