Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to yellowwood: yellowwood tree
1. Any of several trees having yellow wood, especially Cladrastis kentukea in the pea family, native to the eastern United States, which has drooping clusters of white flowers and yields a yellow dye.
2. The wood of any of these trees.
1. (Plants) Also called (US): gopherwood any of several leguminous trees of the genus Cladrastis, esp C. lutea, of the southeastern US, having clusters of white flowers and yellow wood yielding a yellow dye
2. (Plants) Also called: West Indian satinwood a rutaceous tree, Zanthoxylum flavum, of the Caribbean, with smooth hard wood
3. (Plants) any of several other trees with yellow wood, esp Podocarpus falcatus, a conifer of southern Africa: family Podocarpaceae
4. (Forestry) the wood of any of these trees
1. a tree, Cladrastis lutea, of the legume family, of the southeastern U.S., having clusters of fragrant white flowers and wood that yields a yellow dye.
2. any of several other trees having yellowish wood or yielding a yellow dye.
3. the wood of any of these trees.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||yellowwood - the yellow wood of any of various yellowwood trees|
yellowwood tree, yellowwood - any of various trees having yellowish wood or yielding a yellow extract
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|2.||yellowwood - any of various trees having yellowish wood or yielding a yellow extract|
gymnospermous yellowwood - any of various gymnospermous trees having yellow wood
angiospermous yellowwood - any of various angiospermous trees having yellow wood
yellowwood - the yellow wood of any of various yellowwood trees
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms