Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
y·lang-y·langor i·lang-i·lang (ē′läng-ē′läng)
1. A tropical Asian tree (Cananga odorata) having fragrant greenish-yellow flowers that yield an oil used in perfumery.
2. An oil or a perfume obtained from the flowers of this tree.
1. (Plants) an aromatic Asian tree, Cananga odorata (or Canangium odoratum), with fragrant greenish-yellow flowers yielding a volatile oil: family Annonaceae
2. (Elements & Compounds) the oil obtained from this tree, used in perfumery
[C19: from Tagalog ilang-ilang]
or i•lang-i•lang(ˈi lɑŋˈi lɑŋ)
1. an aromatic East Indian tree, Cananga odorata, of the annona family, having fragrant flowers that yield an oil used in perfumery.
2. this oil.
[1875–80; < Tagalog ilang-ilang]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ylang-ylang - evergreen Asian tree with aromatic greenish-yellow flowers yielding a volatile oil; widely grown in the tropics as an ornamental|