Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A brief sharp hissing sound.
2. Energy; vim: I just don't have any zip today.
3. A zipper.
4. Slang Nothing; nil; zero: He knows zip about the restaurant business.
v. zipped, zip·ping, zips
a. To move with a sharp hissing sound.
b. To move or act with a speed that suggests such a sound: The cars zipped by endlessly.
2. To act or proceed swiftly and energetically: zipped through her homework.
3. To become fastened or unfastened by a zipper: The dress zips up the back.
1. To cause to move with speed and force: zipped the ball to a teammate.
2. To fasten or unfasten with a zipper: zipped up his jacket.