rapparee(redirected from "an tóraí")
1. A freebooting soldier of 17th-century Ireland.
2. A bandit or robber.
[Irish Gaelic rapaire, variant of ropaire, cutpurse, from ropaid, he stabs.]
1. (Historical Terms) an Irish irregular soldier of the late 17th century
2. (Military) an Irish irregular soldier of the late 17th century
3. obsolete any plunderer or robber
[C17: from Irish rapairidhe pike, probably from English rapier]
1. an armed Irish freebooter of the 17th century.
2. any freebooter or robber.
[1680–90; < Irish rapaire, ropaire literally, thruster, stabber, derivative of rop (v.) to thrust, stab, (n.) thrust]