negation(redirected from ¬)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. The act or process of negating.
2. A denial, contradiction, or negative statement.
3. The opposite or absence of something regarded as actual, positive, or affirmative.
1. the opposite or absence of something
2. a negative thing or condition
3. the act or an instance of negating
4. (Logic) logic
a. the operator that forms one sentence from another and corresponds to the English not
b. a sentence so formed. It is usually written –p, ~p, p̄ or ⇁p, where p is the given sentence, and is false when the given sentence is true, and true when it is false
1. the act of denying: He shook his head in negation of the charge.
2. a denial: a negation of one's beliefs.
3. something that is without existence; nonentity.
4. the absence or opposite of something considered positive or affirmative: Darkness is the negation of light.
5. a negative statement, idea, concept, doctrine, etc.; a contradiction, refutation, or rebuttal.
Measures to deceive, disrupt, deny, degrade, or destroy an adversary's space systems and services or any other space system or service used by an adversary that is hostile to US national interests. See also space control.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||negation - a negative statement; a statement that is a refusal or denial of some other statement|
statement - a message that is stated or declared; a communication (oral or written) setting forth particulars or facts etc; "according to his statement he was in London on that day"
|2.||negation - the speech act of negating|
contradiction - the speech act of contradicting someone; "he spoke as if he thought his claims were immune to contradiction"
cancellation - the speech act of revoking or annulling or making void
|3.||negation - (logic) a proposition that is true if and only if another proposition is false|
logic - the branch of philosophy that analyzes inference
proposition - (logic) a statement that affirms or denies something and is either true or false
1. An often formal act of putting an end to:
abolishment, abolition, abrogation, annihilation, annulment, cancellation, defeasance, invalidation, nullification, voidance.
negation[nɪˈgeɪʃən] n → négation f
negation[nɪˈgeɪʃ/ən] n → negazione f