Aeolian(redirected from Æolian)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to Aeolis or its people or culture.
2. Greek Mythology Of or relating to Aeolus.
3. aeolian Variant of eolian.
1. One of a Hellenic people of central Greece that occupied Aeolis and Lesbos around 1100 bc.
2. See Aeolic.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
of or relating to the wind; produced or carried by the wind
[C18: from Aeolus, god of the winds]
(Peoples) a member of a Hellenic people who settled in Thessaly and Boeotia and colonized Lesbos and parts of the Aegean coast of Asia Minor
1. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their dialect of Ancient Greek; Aeolic
2. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their dialect of Ancient Greek; Aeolic
3. (Classical Myth & Legend) of or relating to Aeolus
4. (Classical Music) denoting or relating to an authentic mode represented by the ascending natural diatonic scale from A to A: the basis of the modern minor key. See also Hypo-
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ae•o•li•an(iˈoʊ li ən)
1. a member of the ancient Greek people or group of peoples, migrants from Boeotia and Thessaly, who colonized Aeolis and Lesbos c1150–1050 b.c.
2. a native or inhabitant of Aeolis.
4. of or pertaining to Aeolis or the Aeolians.
Ae•o•li•an(iˈoʊ li ən)
1. pertaining to Aeolus, or to the winds in general.
2. (usu. l.c.) of or caused by the wind; wind-blown.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Aeolian - a member of one of four linguistic divisions of the prehistoric Greeks|
|2.||Aeolian - the ancient Greek inhabitants of Aeolia|
|Adj.||1.||Aeolian - of or pertaining to Aeolus, the Greek god of the winds; relating to or caused by the wind|
|2.||Aeolian - of or relating to Aeolis or its ancient Greek people|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
adj → äolisch
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
aeolian[iːˈəʊlɪən] adj (Geol) → eolico/a
aeolian harp → arpa eolia
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995