Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
-gamy(word root) marriage
Examples of words with the root -gamy: bigamy
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. Marriage: exogamy.
2. Procreative or propagative union: allogamy.
3. The possession of a specified manner of fertilization or specified reproductive organs: apogamy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n combining form
denoting marriage or sexual union: bigamy.
[from Greek -gamia, from gamos marriage]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or gam•ey(ˈgeɪ mi)
adj. gam•i•er, gam•i•est.
1. having the tangy flavor of game, esp. game kept uncooked until slightly tainted: the gamy taste of venison.
2. malodorous; smelly.
3. plucky; spirited.
4. lewd or suggestive; risqué.
5. gross or squalid; unwholesome.
a combining form with the meanings “marriage” ( exogamy), “union” ( syngamy), “fertilization” ( autogamy) of the kind specified by the initial element; also forming nouns corresponding to adjectives ending in -gamous (heterogamy).
[< Greek -gamia act of marrying]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.