Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Producing; generating: dysgenic.
2. Produced or generated by: cryptogenic.
3. Suitable for production or reproduction by a specified medium: photogenic.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adj combining form
1. relating to production or generation: carcinogenic.
2. well suited to or suitable for: photogenic.
[from -gen + -ic]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
of, pertaining to, resembling, or arising from a gene or genes.
a combining form often corresponding to nouns ending in -gen or -geny, with the following senses: “producing or causing” (hallucinogenic); “originating or developing in” (neurogenic); “pertaining to a gene or genes” (polygenic); “pertaining to suitability for reproduction by a medium” (telegenic).Compare -genous.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.