Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
One who writes about a specified subject or in a specified manner: stenographer.
n combining form
1. indicating a person who writes about or is skilled in a subject: geographer; photographer.
2. indicating a person who writes, records, or draws in a specified way: stenographer; lithographer.
1. a diagram representing a system of connections or interrelations among two or more things, as by a number of distinctive dots or lines.
a. a series of discrete or continuous points, as in forming a curve or surface, each of which represents a value of a given function.
b. a network of lines connecting points.
3. a written symbol for an idea, a sound, or a linguistic expression.v.t.
4. to draw (a curve) as representing a given mathematical function.
5. to represent by means of a graph.
[1875–80; see graphic]
a combining form meaning “something written, printed, drawn, or incised” ( autograph; lithograph; monograph; pictograph); “an instrument that produces, transmits, or plays back a record, image, or message” ( phonograph; seismograph; telegraph) “the image produced by a camera or similar apparatus” (photograph); “a device or process for writing or printing” ( pantograph; stenograph); “a graph or chart” ( hydrograph);also used as a variant of -gram1 ( holograph; ideograph).
[< Greek -graphos (something) drawn or written, one who draws or writes, derivative of gráphein to write, draw; akin to carve]