Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
suffix forming nouns
(Automotive Engineering) indicating a vehicle designed for a particular person or purpose: Popemobile.
mo•bile(ˈmoʊ bəl, -bil; esp. Brit. -baɪl for 1-8,10,11; ˈmoʊ bil or, Brit., -baɪl for 9 )
1. capable of moving or being moved readily.
2. contained in or utilizing a motor vehicle for ready movement from place to place: a mobile x-ray unit.
3. changing easily in expression, mood, purpose, etc.: a mobile face.
4. quickly responding to impulses, emotions, etc., as the mind.
a. characterized by or permitting the mixing of social groups.
b. characterized by or permitting relatively free movement from one social class or level to another.
6. flowing freely, as a liquid.
7. of or pertaining to a mobile.n.
8. an abstract sculpture having delicately balanced units constructed of pieces of metal or other material suspended in midair by wire or twine so that the individual parts can move independently.
Mo•bile(moʊˈbil, ˈmoʊ bil)
1. a seaport in SW Alabama at the mouth of the Mobile River. 208,820.
2. a river in SW Alabama, formed by the confluence of the Alabama and Tombigbee rivers. 38 mi. (61 km) long.
a combining form extracted from automobile, occurring in coinages denoting types of motorized conveyances, esp. vehicles equipped to procure or deliver objects, provide services, etc., to people without regular access to these: bloodmobile; snowmobile.