Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Forming; growing; changing; developing: metaplastic.
[Greek plastikos, fit for molding; see plastic.]
adj combining form
growing or forming: neoplastic.
[from Greek plastikos; see plastic]
1. any of a group of synthetic or natural organic materials that may be shaped when soft and then hardened, including many types of resins, resinoids, polymers, cellulose derivatives, casein materials, and proteins.
2. a credit card, or credit cards collectively.
3. credit represented by the use of credit cards.
4. an object or objects made of plastic.adj.
5. made of plastic.
6. capable of being molded.
7. produced by molding.
8. having the power to mold or shape material: the plastic forces of nature.
9. concerned with or pertaining to molding or modeling; sculptural.
10. pliable; impressionable: the plastic mind of youth.
11. artificial or synthetic.
12. insincere; phony: a plastic smile.
13. pertaining to the use of credit cards: plastic credit.
14. Mech. able to deform continuously and permanently without rupturing.
15. Biol. formative (def. 3).
16. of or pertaining to plastic surgery.
plas′ti•cal•ly, plas′tic•ly, adv.
a combining form occurring in adjectives that correspond to nouns ending in -plasia, -plast, or -plasty: anaplastic; chloroplastic; heteroplastic.