stringer(redirected from -stringers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. One that strings: a stringer of beads.
a. A long heavy horizontal timber used as a support or connector.
b. A stringboard.
3. Sports A member of a specified string or squad on a team. Often used in combination: a first-stringer; a second-stringer.
4. A part-time or freelance correspondent for the news media.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) architect
a. a long horizontal beam that is used for structural purposes
b. another name for stringboard
2. (Nautical Terms) nautical a longitudinal structural brace for strengthening the hull of a vessel
3. (Journalism & Publishing) a journalist retained by a newspaper or news service on a part-time basis to cover a particular town or area
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that strings.
2. a long horizontal timber connecting upright posts.
4. a longitudinal bridge girder for supporting part of a deck or railroad track between bents or piers.
5. a longitudinal reinforcement in the fuselage or wing of an airplane.
6. a part-time correspondent for a newspaper, magazine, etc.
7. a performer ranked according to skill or accomplishment (used in combination): first-stringers.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stringer - a member of a squad on a team; "a first stringer"; "a second stringer"|
|2.||stringer - a worker who strings; "a stringer of beads"|
worker - a person who works at a specific occupation; "he is a good worker"
|3.||stringer - brace consisting of a longitudinal member to strengthen a fuselage or hull|
|4.||stringer - a long horizontal timber to connect uprights|
timber - a beam made of wood
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Press sl) → Lokalreporter(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007