Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. In a specified manner, direction, or position: clockwise.
2. With reference to; in regard to: profitwise.
[Middle English, from Old English -wīsan, from -wīse, manner; see wise2.]
Usage Note: The suffix -wise has a long history of use to mean "in the manner or direction of," as in clockwise, otherwise, and slantwise. Since the 1930s, however, the suffix has been widely used in the vaguer sense of "with respect to," as in This has not been a good year saleswise. Taxwise, it is an unattractive arrangement. Since their introduction, these usages have been associated with informal prose, and they are still considered by many to be awkward. For this reason, they might best be avoided, especially in formal writing. The most obvious alternative is to use paraphrases, as in This has not been a good year with respect to sales. As far as taxes are concerned, it is an unattractive arrangement.
adv combining form
1. Also: -ways indicating direction or manner: clockwise; likewise.
2. with reference to: profitwise; businesswise.
[Old English -wisan; see wise2]
adj. wis•er, wis•est, adj.
1. having the power of discerning and judging properly as to what is true or right; possessing discernment, judgment, or discretion.
2. characterized by or showing such power; judicious or prudent: a wise decision.
3. possessed of or characterized by scholarly knowledge or learning; learned; erudite: wise in the law.
4. knowing; informed: to be the wiser for it.
5. Archaic. having knowledge of magic or witchcraft.v.
6. wise up, Slang. to make or become aware or enlightened.Idioms:
1. be or get wise to, Slang. to be or become cognizant of; learn.
2. get wise, Slang.
a. to become informed.
b. to be presumptuous or impertinent.
3. put or set someone wise,Slang. to inform someone, esp. about confidential information.
[before 900; Middle English (adj.), Old English wīs, c. Old Frisian, Old Saxon, Old High German wīs, Old Norse vīss, Gothic -weis; akin to wit1]
way of proceeding or considering; manner; fashion (usu. used in combination or in certain phrases): otherwise; in no wise.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English wīse way, manner, melody, c. Old Saxon wīsa, Old High German wīs(a), Old Norse vīsa; akin to Greek eîdos form, shape, and to wit2]
v.t. wised, wis•ing. Chiefly Scot.
a. to instruct.
b. to induce or advise.
c. to show the way to; guide.
2. to direct the course of; cause to turn.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English wīsian, akin to wīs wise1; c. Old High German wīsan, Old Norse vīsa]
1. Isaac Mayer, 1819–1900, U.S. rabbi, born in Bohemia: founder of Reform Judaism in the U.S.
2. Stephen Samuel, 1874–1949, U.S. rabbi and Zionist leader, born in Hungary.
a suffixal use of wise2 in adverbs denoting manner, position, direction, reference, etc.: clockwise; edgewise; marketwise; timewise.
usage: The suffix -wise is old in the language in adverbs referring to manner, direction, etc.: crosswise; lengthwise. Coinages like marketwise, saleswise, and weatherwise are often criticized, perhaps because of their association with the news and entertainment media: Moneywise, as they were already saying in the motion-picture industry, Hollywood was at its peak. This suffix should not be confused with the adjective wise1, which appears in such compounds as streetwise and worldly-wise.
1. in respect of or as regards. This new idea may prove to be difficult costwise. gewys لاحِقَه بِمَعْنى: فيما يَتَعَلَّقُ بِكذا по отношение на em relação a co se týče ...-mäßig -mæssig όσον αφορά (ως β΄ συνθ.) en relación a, en cuanto a suhtes معقول suhteen en ce qui concerneמצב प्रकार, भांति način ... vonatkozásában dalam hal -lega (quanto a), (per quanto riguarda) －に関して …의 점에서는 (ko nors) atžvilgiu, (kieno nors) požiūriu attiecībā uz dihargai met bettrekking tot -messig, –vis, –aktig pod względem ... em relação a în ceea ce priveşte в отношении, касательно чего-л. čo sa týka kar se tiče u smislu -mässigt พิจารณา gibi, tarzında (後綴)有關 щодо کے مطابق có sáng suốt （后缀）表示状态
2. in a (particular) way. The stripes run crosswise. gewys بِطَريقَةِ كذا по определен начин à maneira de způsobem ...-artig på den og den måde; på kryds og tværs με έναν συγκεκριμένο τρόπο (ως β΄ συνθ.) de forma -pidi راه و روش tyyliin à la manière de בְּאוֹפֶן זֶה, בְּדֶרֶך זוּ एक विशेष तरह से na način -módon secara á sama veg og fyrri hluti orðsins tiltekur in maniera (...) －の方向に 양태, 방법을 나타냄 ... būdu (kādā) veidā secara -gewijs på ... måte (på tvers) w ... sposób à maneira de într-un anume fel определённым образом (v zložených slovách) krížom na način u smeru vis ตามทาง bakımından, açısından 往特定方向 певним способом خاص طریقے سے theo cách 表示方向