Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Of sufficient worth for: creditworthy.
2. Suitable or safe for: crashworthy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adj. -thi•er, -thi•est, adj.
1. having adequate or great merit, character, or value: a worthy successor.
2. of commendable excellence or merit; deserving; meritorious: an effort worthy of praise.n.
3. a person of eminent worth, merit, or position.
a combining form of worthy, used with the meanings “deserving of, fit for” (newsworthy; trustworthy), “capable of travel in or on” (roadworthy; seaworthy) the thing specified by the initial element.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.