Venus(redirected from 2nd planet)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
false-color image produced from radar images taken by the Magellan probe
1. Roman Mythology The goddess of love and beauty.
2. The second planet from the sun, having an average radius of 6,052 kilometers (3,761 miles), a mass 0.82 times that of Earth, and a sidereal period of revolution about the sun of 224.7 days at a mean distance of approximately 108.2 million kilometers (67.2 million miles).
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) the Roman goddess of love. Greek counterpart: Aphrodite
2. (Anatomy) mount of Venus See mons veneris
1. (Celestial Objects) one of the inferior planets and the second nearest to the sun, visible as a bright morning or evening star. Its surface is extremely hot (over 400°C) and is completely shrouded by dense cloud. The atmosphere is principally carbon dioxide. Mean distance from sun: 108 million km; period of revolution around sun: 225 days; period of axial rotation: 244.3 days (retrograde motion); diameter and mass: 96.5 and 81.5 per cent that of earth respectively
2. (Alchemy) the alchemical name for copper1
n., pl. -us•es.
1. an ancient Italian goddess, identified by the Romans with Aphrodite as the goddess of love and beauty.
2. an exceptionally beautiful woman.
3. the most brilliant planet, second in order from the sun, having an equatorial diameter of 7521 miles (12,104 km), a mean distance from the sun of 67.2 million miles (108.2 million km), a period of revolution of 224.68 days, and no moons.
4. Also called Ve′nus fig`ure. (sometimes l.c.) a statuette of a female figure, usu. carved of ivory and typically having exaggerated breasts, belly, or buttocks, often found in Upper Paleolithic cultures from Siberia to France.
The second planet from the sun and the fourth smallest, with a diameter about 400 miles less than that of Earth. Venus comes nearer to Earth than any other planet and is the brightest object in the night sky aside from Earth's moon. It is the hottest planet in the solar system, with an average surface temperature of 867°F (464°C). See Table at solar system. See Note at planet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Venus - the second nearest planet to the sun; it is peculiar in that its rotation is slow and retrograde (in the opposite sense of the Earth and all other planets except Uranus); it is visible from Earth as an early `morning star' or an `evening star'; "before it was known that they were the same object the evening star was called Venus and the morning star was called Lucifer"|
solar system - the sun with the celestial bodies that revolve around it in its gravitational field
|2.||Venus - goddess of love; counterpart of Greek Aphrodite|
|3.||Venus - type genus of the family Veneridae: genus of edible clams with thick oval shells|
mollusk genus - a genus of mollusks
n → Venus f