coda(redirected from 401(k))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Music The concluding passage of a movement or composition.
2. A conclusion or closing part of a statement.
[Italian coda, tail, from Latin cauda, cōda, tail, perhaps originally "that which is hewn off, part," and akin to cūdere, to strike, beat; see incus.]
1. (Classical Music) music the final, sometimes inessential, part of a musical structure
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a concluding part of a literary work, esp a summary at the end of a novel of further developments in the lives of the characters
[C18: from Italian: tail, from Latin cauda]
n., pl. -das.
1. a concluding passage of a musical composition.
2. a concluding section, esp. one serving as a summation of preceding themes, as in a drama.
3. anything that serves as a conclusion or summation.
[1745–55; < Italian < Latin cauda tail; compare queue]
A passage bringing a work or movement to a conclusion.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coda - the closing section of a musical composition|
close, closing, ending, conclusion, end - the last section of a communication; "in conclusion I want to say..."
performance, public presentation - a dramatic or musical entertainment; "they listened to ten different performances"; "the play ran for 100 performances"; "the frequent performances of the symphony testify to its popularity"