dispatcher(redirected from 911 operator)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. One that dispatches: a dispatcher of good news.
2. A person who sends out trains, buses, trucks, or cars according to a schedule.
3. A person who sends out police cars, ambulances, taxis, or other vehicles in response to reported emergencies or requests for service.
4. Computers A routine that controls the order in which input and output devices obtain access to the processing system.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person who dispatches.
2. a person who oversees the departure of vehicles.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dispatcher - the official who signals the beginning of a race or competition|
official - someone who administers the rules of a game or sport; "the golfer asked for an official who could give him a ruling"
|2.||dispatcher - employee of a transportation company who controls the departures of vehicles according to weather conditions and in the interest of efficient service|
employee - a worker who is hired to perform a job
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.