Ac(redirected from A c)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. adult contemporary (radio format)
2. or a/c air conditioning
4. alternating current
5. area code
The symbol for actinium.
Acts of the Apostles
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the internet domain name for
(Computer Science) Ascension Island
the chemical symbol for
1. (Electrical Engineering) alternating current. Compare DC
2. ante Christum
3. (Military) Air Corps
4. (Athletics (Track & Field)) athletic club
5. Companion of the Order of Australia
6. (Brewing) appellation d'origine contrôlée: the highest French wine classification; indicates that the wine meets strict requirements concerning area of production, strength, etc. See VDQS, vin de pays, vin de table
7. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Aelodau'r Cynulliad: Member of the Assembly (that is, the National Assembly of Wales)
[(for sense 3) Latin: before Christ]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
AC or A.C.
1. air conditioning.
2. Also, ac, a.c., alternating current.
3. before Christ.
[< Latin ante Christum]
var. of ad- before c and qu: accede; acquire.
var. of -ic after Greek noun stems ending in i: cardiac; maniac.
[< Latin -acus < Greek -akos]
2. account current.
3. air conditioning.
(in prescriptions) before meals.
[< Latin ante cibum]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The symbol for actinium.
Abbreviation of alternating current
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ac - a radioactive element of the actinide series; found in uranium ores|
chemical element, element - any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
uranium ore - any ore from which uranium can be extracted
|2.||AC - an electric current that reverses direction sinusoidally; "In the US most household current is AC at 60 cycles per second"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. (Elec) =alternating current → C.A. f
2. (Aer) =aircraftman
3. (US) (Sport) =Athletic Club → C.A. m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
AC[ˌeɪˈsiː] n abbr
a. (Elec) =alternating current → c.a. =corrente alternata
b. (Am) =athletic club
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995