bombardier(redirected from ADantz Trans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A member of a combat aircraft crew who operates the bombsight and drops the bombs.
2. Chiefly British A noncommissioned artillery officer.
3. Archaic A soldier in the artillery.
[French, from Old French bombarde, bombard; see bombard.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Military) the member of a bomber aircrew responsible for aiming and releasing the bombs
2. (Military) Brit a noncommissioned rank below the rank of sergeant in the Royal Artillery
3. (Animals) Also called: bombardier beetle any of various small carabid beetles of the genus Brachinus, esp B. crepitans of Europe, which defend themselves by ejecting a jet of volatile fluid
[C16: from Old French: one directing a bombard; see bombard]
(Automotive Engineering) trademark Canadian a snow tractor, typically having caterpillar tracks at the rear and skis at the front
[C20: named after J. A. Bombardier, Canadian inventor and manufacturer]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
bom•bar•dier(ˌbɒm bərˈdɪər, -bə-)
1. the crew member of a bombing plane who operates the bombsight and the bomb-release mechanism.
2. Archaic. artilleryman.
[1550–60; < Middle French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
bombardier- First denoted a soldier in charge of a bombard, an early form of cannon.
See also related terms for soldier.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bombardier - a noncommissioned officer in the British artillery|
|2.||bombardier - the member of a bomber crew responsible for using the bombsight and releasing the bombs on the target|
aircrewman - a member of an aircrew
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
bombardier[ˌbɒmbəˈdɪəʳ] N → bombardero m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Mil) → Artillerieunteroffizier m; (Aviat) → Bombenschütze m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007